Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Your support

I'd planned to describe our meeting with the bone marrow doctor today, but I want more time to get my head around it. In short, it was very difficult. I wouldn't say we're in quite the same state of shock that we were three weeks ago (when we rec'd the initial diagnosis of HLH), but it's not far from that. If the last week's good news has made me lose sight of how difficult the road ahead is, today's meeting brought the brutal reality of the next 3-4 months into sharp focus.

In the meantime, a quick and insufficient note to acknowledge if not fully and appropriately thank everyone for the extraordinary support you've been showing us. Your emails, gifts, gestures, Facebook comments, Tweets, and offers to help really help keep our spirits up. And we need that. Thank you.

The gofundme fundraising site set up* by my friend and co-worker (and former boss) at National Geographic, Barbara Ferry, is extraordinary. To say Alyson and I are grateful--not to mention shocked at what people are doing for us--is understatement. The site has a "send a thank you" function that I have yet to use, but I will. Please just know that your generosity has not not not gone unnoticed (!) and will not go unacknowledged.

* Despite what it site says, I am not the gofundme site's creator. I don't know what happened, but at some point Barbara's name was replaced by mine. I'm not happy about it--I don't like feeling like I'm holding a hat out--but I haven't figured out how to change it back.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the bone marrow consultation. Sending you good thoughts, prayers, and strength

    ReplyDelete