Thursday, November 26, 2015

Day +71: Sam comes home for Thanksgiving

After 82 days inpatient, Sam was finally discharged from prison the hospital last Saturday. Getting him stabilized took almost a month longer than I'd predicted. Four times we were scheduled to discharge, and three times we were forced to abort. Two of those were due to last-minute fevers that, according to BMT protocol, require blood tests, a course of antibiotics, and a mandatory minimum additional 48 hrs. of inpatient observation.

When we'd finally signed the discharge papers, a bunch of Sam's nurses gave him a delightful send-off. They adore Sam, and we will forever be grateful for how well they took care of us--all of us--for the last few months. As thrilled as we are to be gone from the 4th Floor, I will miss them immensely. Their affection for Sam, as well as their good cheer and optimism, kept us afloat emotionally more than anything I can think of.

We are pretty well settled in at home. Sam is a lot of work to take care of in his condition (see below), and he has to go back for outpatient check-ups, blood work, exams, etc. several times a week. But I'm not complaining. We are thrilled to be home with him, and he is visibly happier than he ever was in the hospital. 

In the not too distant future I will elaborate on Sam's condition, the landscape ahead of us, and, maybe, why I've been AWOL for several weeks. 

In the meantime, we have a nice long weekend at home with our little boy. As I type, Sam is asleep on Alyson's chest. And snoring.

Happy Thanksgiving indeed.

Dressed for the trip home. Hat courtesy of Aunt Becca.

The Hematology & Oncology nurses gave Sam a lovely send-off. 

Our first meal together at home. No need to comment on how I look like crap--I've already been told. Repeatedly.

The daily regimen includes administering two dozen doses of meds. 

Bundled up after a bath.

14 comments:

  1. Welcome home, sweet buddy. The meaning of thanks-giving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you all, and thanks for the update. I was just thinking of you this week, and wondering how Sam was doing. Hope thingsc continue to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the long anticipated homecoming! Everyone in AZ sends love & positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home Sam!! I'm so glad you are home!! This is how you celebrate Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brought a happy tear to my eye! Happy Thanksgiving all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ed and I are very happy for you. I have been thinking of you lately, especially when I'm at the curling club. Good luck and stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home little cutie pie. All of our prayers have been answered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome home little cutie pie. All of our prayers have been answered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome home sweet little boy! You all have our love, support and prayers! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fantastic, though I know you both must be exhausted. He is sure to thrive at home! So much to see and do!

    ReplyDelete